The Best Online Directories for Finding a Therapist
Finding a therapist in your area, that you can afford and is taking patients, can sometimes be difficult. Here are a few websites with good, comprehensive listing that can help in your search.
You can also ask your doctor for a referral. They likely know the therapists available in the area, and can help you find one that will meet your needs.
- Psychology Today provides one of the most comprehensive listings of therapists in the US and Canada. After you search by location, a menu on the left gives you the options to further narrow your results.
- The National Register of Health Service Psychologists has fewer therapists than Psychology Today, but is still one of the largest directories available.
- The Academy of Cognitive Therapy lists therapists who are members of this Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) trade organization. Learn more about CBT
- The Association for Behavioral and Cognitive Therapies likewise lists therapists who are CBT-practicing members of its organization.
- SAMSHA.gov lists mental-healthcare providers maintained by the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. The list is quite broad, and has everything from psychiatrists to substance-abuse clinics. It also provides information about whether most providers accept Medicaid. They also offer this information via phone: 1-800-662-HELP (4357).